Finally, His Name

If you haven’t followed the baby name drama in the Badzin household, I’ll get you up to speed.

When I was six months pregnant with our fourth child, I spent a few days determined to change our 2-year-old daughter’s name (after I’d pushed the name on Bryan in the first place). I terrorized the family, then settled on leaving her name as is. After all that, Bryan declared he would name our fourth child. Since I’d lost faith in my naming abilities anyway, I agreed to the plan.

Then towards the end of the pregnancy, Bryan said he wanted to follow the more traditional Jewish custom of not announcing the baby’s name until the bris (for a boy) or baby naming ceremony (for a girl). I wasn’t sold on the idea until I did a little research, which led to my writing a piece on the matter for TcJewfolk.com.

Now that our son has been in our lives for a week known only as “the baby” or “mister” or “pumpkin breath,” I can say that waiting to announce his name added meaning and depth to the bris for everyone in attendance. I recommend trying it if you have the chance. If I could go back and make the same decision with our other kids, I would.

Our “dream team” of rabbis from our Conservative synaogue and Chabad

So, now that the wait is over, I’m excited to share our baby’s name. His English name is Nathan (we’ll call him Nate) Sackheim Badzin. And his Hebrew name is Natan David (pronounced Daveed). Bryan and I are drawn to names from our Jewish heritage. Bryan spoke at the bris about the attributes of the prophet Natan and King David that we hope our son will share one day.

Sackheim is my maiden name, and since I have no brothers or male first cousins who will carry the name forward, we thought it would be meaningful for my parents and my family to know that Nate will connect to that piece of his family puzzle.

So, patient friends and blog readers, I appreciate you coming along on this baby naming ride with me and enduring all the baby talk in general. Soon it will be time to get serious about “the writing life” aspect of this blog again. First order of business—SLEEP.

Wish me luck!

Nina is a columnist at The HerStories Project and Tcjewfolk.com, and a contributing writer at Kveller.com and Greatnewbooks.org. Her essays have appeared regularly at Brain, Child Magazine, The Huffington Post, The Jewish Daily Forward, Writerunboxed.com, and elsewhere. Her short stories have appeared in over a dozen literary magazines, and she loved participating in the 2013 cast of Listen to Your Mother. Nina lives in Minneapolis with her husband and four children.

60 Responses to Finally, His Name
  1. Allison
    November 14, 2011 | 5:41 pm

Congratulations on Nate! I totally agree with the middle name. With no boys to carry on the Rutter name, we named our third ( and last) child, Abigail Rutter Chaiet, to carry on the Rutter name. I completely understand your reasoning and agree wholeheartedly! Now get some sleep!

November 14, 2011 | 9:33 pm

Thanks Allison! I love all of your kids’ names. You can ask Jenni–I tell her all the time. P.S. I’m having fun teasing Jenni about her names ideas for baby #2.

November 14, 2011 | 5:41 pm

(A piece of your post is missing, I think, Nina.)
    But anyway…Nate’s a great name! Good choice.
    Names are sooo important. They follow us through life, after all. Good idea to take your time deciding.

November 14, 2011 | 5:48 pm

Thx for telling me! I think I fixed it.

3. Helen Page
    November 14, 2011 | 5:49 pm

Congratulations, Nina, and welcome Nate. I love your name. Best wishes to you all.

November 14, 2011 | 5:51 pm

Love the name Nate.
    Adorable.

My children’s middle names are Christian (for my maiden name, Christianson) and Anders (for my mother’s maiden name, Anderson).

I love when a baby’s middle name has significance beyond “it sounds nice.”

And I can’t wait to hear more about life in the Badzin house with the advent of baby number four.

Welcome, Nate.
    You were loved long before you were even named.

XO

5. Andrea Kasper
    November 14, 2011 | 5:52 pm

The name is really beautiful! I hope that the day was wonderful and celebratory, I was thinking of you all.
    Love
    Andrea

November 14, 2011 | 9:36 pm

Thanks Andrea! I know you would’ve appreciated you the mix of rabbis, etc. It was unusual and very special (for us). When I get all the pictures collected I’ll email you one of Amama, Laurie, and Tobi bringing in the baby together. Amama carried him in!

6. Jane Pirtle
    November 14, 2011 | 5:53 pm

I love the name! Bryan did a great job! I can’t wait to meet him!

7. Lindsey
    November 14, 2011 | 5:54 pm

Congratulations! What a wonderful name. I love the idea of waiting – reminds me a little of why we waited to find out the genders of our children until they were born. Love to all six of you. xo

November 14, 2011 | 5:58 pm

So agree! We waited on the gender for all four!

8. Anne R. Allen
    November 14, 2011 | 5:57 pm

What a great name! And you did build the suspense there. Always the story teller?

9. Kristen @ Motherese
    November 14, 2011 | 6:07 pm

Mazal Tov! And welcome to Nathan. I am a big fan of that name; in fact, I would likely have had a Nathan myself if my 9mo had been a girl. I’d say you and Bryan did well! All my best to you and your family.

10. Anne Greenwwod Brown
    November 14, 2011 | 6:08 pm

My first Bris! It was such a great morning. Bryan’s speech about the meaning of the name, the history, hoping that Nate will look to the patriarchs and matriarchs for guidance when life gets bumpy … I have to admit, I got a little teary. So glad to have been there.

Now…I have to ask…what was that potato thingy with the jelly? Oh my gosh–so good!

November 14, 2011 | 9:40 pm

Hi! They were noodles and cheese . . . one of many variations of a kugel. There is such a thing as potato kugel, actually, but this one was noodle. You’ll often see different types of noodle kugels at Jewish events. It’s an eastern European type of dish. Anyway, SO loved seeing you out there. Meant so much that you came!

• Anne Greenwood Brown
        November 14, 2011 | 10:20 pm

Yeah…I’m sure we weren’t too hard to pick out of the crowd. Two redheads in a sea of shiny black hair!

November 14, 2011 | 10:23 pm

Ha! So true. You can imagine how I feel in Edina. ;)

11. Amy Sue Nathan
    November 14, 2011 | 6:10 pm

Well I must say — I think it’s a wonderful name. ;-)

Mazel tov!

12. liz
    November 14, 2011 | 6:11 pm

Awww, welcome Nathan! Congratulations on another successful name!

13. cym
    November 14, 2011 | 6:14 pm

And so well worth the wait! I loved being surprised today! I also loved how the service was so unscripted and spoken from the heart. We love you all. It really felt like yesterday we were there for Sam’s bris. xox

November 14, 2011 | 9:43 pm

Thank you! I love that you (and hopefully others) picked up on the unscripted piece of it. We were aiming for something much more personal! Sorry I didn’t get to see you or really anyone at the simcha part. The nursing took a long time! :)

14. Alissa
    November 14, 2011 | 6:17 pm

Love the name. Welcome to the world, Nate. Sending love and hugs to all of the Badzins.

15. Leah
    November 14, 2011 | 6:20 pm

Mazel Tov to you, Nathan and your family!

16. Lisa Ahn
    November 14, 2011 | 6:22 pm

What a beautiful story and name. I’m wishing you a string of hours linked together in sleep.

17. mommytanya (@mommytanya)
    November 14, 2011 | 6:36 pm

Wonderful! Love the name! Love that you waited and that it was as meaningful as you had hoped for. I love that you used your maiden name for his middle name. I plan to do that if I ever have a son (stop laughing) since I’m in the same situation as you as far as male relatives go. Lots of love and blessings to you and your family Nina!

November 14, 2011 | 9:59 pm

Thank you! You been one of those good enough to stay with me from start to finish on this thing. :)

November 14, 2011 | 6:52 pm

How wonderful his name, how great his heritage. Nathan David will be a proud addition to your loving family. I also researched the meanings of each name of my children. I do not have to tell you, because you are wise beyond your years … they indeed live up to the names we give them … almost as though we are guided :)

19. Lisa Mayers
    November 14, 2011 | 7:13 pm

I have been waiting with baited breath all week to know Baby #4s name! And now I finally know it and I love it. You’re forgiven for not using Josh and for not having him on my birthday. I think we have enough other funny name/birthdate connections. I love the name Nate and I can’t wait to meet the little pisher. Hope you and the gang are doing great. Warm thoughts are emanating from Cleveland! xoxoxo

November 14, 2011 | 10:01 pm

Well, now we have two surrounding your bday! 11/3 and 11/6!

20. Erika Robuck
    November 14, 2011 | 7:51 pm

Congratulations! What a beautiful name and tradition!

Sending you wishes for some zzzzzzz’s.

21. Raelyn Barclay
    November 14, 2011 | 8:10 pm

Welcome to Nate and congrats to the whole family!

22. Natalia Sylvester
    November 14, 2011 | 8:58 pm

Omg congratulations! What a beautiful name (I might be biased, seeing as how our names have similar roots ;) I remember looking up the meanings of Natalia (or really, it applies to most Nata names like Natalie, Nathan and Natasha) and finding that it means “Birth of God” or “Gift from God” (I forget which exactly, but still, kinda nice, right?).

23. Jess Witkins
    November 14, 2011 | 10:57 pm

Nina, congratulations! What a long and arduous process. I can’t imagine which was worse, the actual birth or agreeing on a name! LOL. Honestly, though, I couldn’t be happier for your whole family; this has been a fun ride for us your readers, and I wish you all the best with your new little addition. Stay healthy and remember to take care of you too this holiday season! Congratulations! Can’t wait to hear more about little Natan David. I love the way you’ve blended your family name into his as well. My brother and sister in law did that with their little boy, Canyon Joseph Salas Witkins. Long, but it’s fitting, cause it’s a little piece of my family (Joseph), my sis in laws (Salas) and my brother and his wife combined (Canyon). Makes the name extra special, I totally get it!

24. Hallie Sawyer
    November 14, 2011 | 11:08 pm

It sounds like you had a very special day and that it had a lot of meaning for you as well as for those who attended. His name is as adorable as he is, I’m sure.

Now, no more blogging until you’ve slept. We will all still be here when you get back. Promise. XO

25. jenkleinbooks
    November 14, 2011 | 11:10 pm

Oh, what a sweetie pie. Welcome to the world, little Nate. And wishing you easy sleep, Nina!

26. lb
    November 15, 2011 | 7:42 am

Loved the blog neen! Great pics and as always…fun to read!

Good luck getting some sleep!

27. Julia Munroe Martin
    November 15, 2011 | 7:47 am

What a beautiful name for a beloved boy to round out your family! (p.s. I miss those baby days, so sweet and precious!)

28. Barbara King (@travelingking1)
    November 15, 2011 | 10:04 am

We are thrilled to officially welcome Nathan Sackheim Badzin to the family! I especially love his Hebrew name because my first son, David (1972-1974), is always in my heart. Also, we found out that Michael’s name, prior to being adopted, was David. So “David” and “King” fit the King family well! Mazel tov and may you get lots and lots of sleep….someday!

29. Jack@TheJackB
    November 15, 2011 | 10:07 am

Mazal Tov Nina! So very happy for you and your family.

30. Jen Erickson
    November 15, 2011 | 4:55 pm

We did family names for middle names for all four of our children. I have three sisters and no brothers, so my oldest son’s middle name was my maiden name, Lee. Congrats Nina! Thanks for sharing your story. :)

31. Melissa Crytzer Fry
    November 15, 2011 | 5:12 pm

I love how you included your maiden name as part of his family puzzle. And I can see how waiting made his name so much more special. Hope you’re getting your sleep, mama! I’ll be blogging next week about my time off and the interesting revelations about MYSELF that emerged. Missed you, all!

32. Linda Tell (Edina)
    November 16, 2011 | 7:59 am

Mazel Tov to the Badzin Family – I wish I had known – Natan Daveed is a beautiful Jewish name and what a nice way to honor your family Nina – It is wonderful to have a nice addition to the “Hood” Linda

33. Anita
    November 16, 2011 | 9:22 am

Aww. Congrats! That’s a beautiful name, and well chosen. I hope you’re getting that sleep now. :)

34. Jana@An Attitude Adjustment
    November 17, 2011 | 7:02 pm

Congrats! I didn’t realize you’d had the baby already! Hope you are getting at least some sleep and enjoying that magical first week.

35. Pamela Redmond Satran
    November 18, 2011 | 9:27 am

Congratulations, Nina! Beautiful family and beautiful name.

36. Sara Grambusch
    November 21, 2011 | 1:14 pm

Nathan is a wonderful name! I like boy’s names that you can shorten.

37. Frume Sarah
    November 22, 2011 | 8:46 pm

May Natan David bring much honour to his name and our people.

38. [...] If you haven’t been following Nina Badzin’s baby naming debacles, you’ve been missing out.  She recaps the long nine month journey and also reveals her newest addition’s long awaited, and well thought out, name in Finally, His Name. [...]

39. Renee A. Schuls-Jacobson
    November 29, 2011 | 8:34 am

I just found your site via the fabulous Julie Gardner, as I was complaint that I can’t find Jewish bloggers! And here you are! With a new baby and everything! Mazes tov to you and your family.

I had so wanted to do a traditional bris and baby naming, but a disaster of a delivery kept me in the hospital for 8 days, so our mohel had to come to the hospital. It was very emotional for me as I had all those darn expectations.

Anyway, I had hoped to do a little Hanukkah collaboration with other Jewish bloggers, but I’m finding we are a rather rare commodity. That said, it is lovely to meet you. And your family. And maybe when you get some sleep again, we can catch up. I’m @rasjacobson on Twitter. But I’m the chief twit-in-residence at Lessons From Teachers and Twits. Enjoy your new blessing!

40. Rivki
    November 29, 2011 | 5:03 pm

Beautiful. I love the names, both the English and Hebrew. My second son is David, so I’m definitely partial to that name, and I love Natan as well. And the inclusion of your maiden name is a very nice and meaningful decision. May he grow to Torah, Chupah & Ma’asim Tovim. And may you get a lot of nachas (and sleep, eventually).

November 30, 2011 | 11:06 am

Thank you so much Rivki! I can’t remember if I told you that my oldest daughter is Rebecca and of course her Hebrew name is Rivka. :)

41. Page not found – Nina Badzin's Blog
    November 29, 2011 | 10:31 pm

[...] Finally, His Name [...]

42. Top Ten Reads of 2011 – Nina Badzin's Blog
    November 29, 2011 | 10:35 pm

[...] good people at Barnes and Noble since they already provide excellent information on their website. And I had a baby three weeks ago. I can only do so [...]

43. Koala Bear Writer
    December 8, 2011 | 3:09 pm

That’s a beautiful story, Nina! In some ways, I found it harder to name my second daughter, as I wanted her name to be something deeply meaningful (like the name you chose for Nathan). In other ways, it was easy, as I had one name (her middle name) that I’d been holding onto for over a year as having special significance for me if I ever had another daughter. :)

44. [...] will run out eventually. Also, I still have ten pounds to lose thanks to almost-two-month-old baby Nate. And aside from fitting into my old clothes, I worry about my health, my memory, and my energy [...]

45. saquina
    February 29, 2012 | 8:45 pm

I love that name! :) Congratulations. I like the idea of including the maidenname into the kids name, although I don’t really think it’d work well with my name – too long. Then again, I do have 3 brothers to carry on the name… ;)

46. [...] In the tiny room we shared in the old hotel, we watched CNN’s coverage of William and Kate’s wedding as Anne patiently explained the differences between Catholic proceedings and the Anglican customs of the Church of England. Seven months later as the only two red-heads in a sea of brunettes, Anne and her daughter took the 50 minute drive to attend my son’s bris. [...]

47. [...] TO SAY: For an update on baby #4, look here! IF YOU ENJOYED THIS POST, PLEASE CONSIDER SHARING IT.Like this:Like2 bloggers like this. Follow [...]

48. [...] EDITED TO SAY: For an update on baby #4, look here! [...]