In years past I’ve shared some advice about what I’ve learned about blogging and what I’ve learned about life through blogging. I stand by all those words, even the ones I wrote in the early days
Those posts are:
- After Six Months (This is still really good advice for someone thinking about starting a blog. I wrote a post after one year of blogging, but it’s mediocre.)
- How to Blog Without Annoying Your Friends and Family (Not sure I’ve been successful at that, but it’s still a good post!)
- Two Years of Blogging: Why I Still Bother (You can skip this one. Nothing major here.)
- I’m Not an Aspiring Novelist (One the most popular posts here, in which I discussed giving up the novel-writing aspirations for the blog.)
- Lessons About Life Learned After Three Years of Blogging (This one was heartfelt and emotional. I was in a bit of a bitter place, but I’m glad I wrote this.)
There have also been interviews where I share things like how I got work on other sites and why I don’t submit work to the Huffington Post anymore:
- Getting Work Beyond Your Blog (And in a related note, the many essays I’ve had elsewhere are here.)
- If You Build it They Will Come is Not a Good Blogging Tip
So, what am I celebrating after four years? Mostly, this party is about continuing to push myself, knowing my worth, keeping my dignity, and settling well into my voice. Speaking of my voice (Lord help me), I was on local CBS radio on the Jordana Green Show this week discussing my friendship advice column for The HerStories Project. You can listen to the podcast below. We had a great conversation!
Now let’s end this party with a little giveaway. Since my favorite topic to write about is friendship and another is books, I’m going to give a book away to your FRIEND. Just leave a comment below that you’d love to win a book for your friend and I will enter you in the drawing. If you want to say the book and name the friend, awesome. But that’s not a “must.” And no need to like my Facebook page or sign up for my newsletter, even though that would be delightful.
Giveaway ends Sunday, November 16th at 5:00PM. I will email the winner and at that point you can tell me which book (up to a $20 value) you would like me to send to your friend and what you want to say on the note. Sound good? Who wouldn’t love a surprise gift from a friend? (Or in this case, a friend of a friend.)
Now who wants to come over and make me a margarita for a real celebration? Have a great week everyone!